Privacy Statement: A Guide For Milk Bank Donors
The Rogers Hixon Ontario Human Milk Bank, which is part of Sinai Health System, is committed to protecting your Privacy.
Our Commitment to Privacy
We understand that effective health-care delivery depends on an atmosphere of trust between patients, caregivers, and milk donors. You can trust that we respect:
- Your right to access your personal health information;
- Your right to request correction of incomplete or inaccurate information contained in your health record;
- Your right to have your personal health information kept confidential;
- Your right to request that your personal health information not be given to other health-care providers.
Access: if you would like to access your donor record, please contact the Rogers Hixon Ontario Human Milk Bank at 416-586-4800 Ext. 6246 and ask one of the nurse/lactation coordinators to arrange a time when they can review your entire record with you.
Correction: If you believe that the personal health information we have recorded about you is inaccurate or incomplete, please raise this with the Milk Bank staff or write to the Corporate Privacy Officer.
Confidentiality: Privacy and confidentiality is a top priority at the Rogers Hixon Ontario Human Milk Bank.
- We take steps to protect your personal health information from theft, loss and unauthorized access, copying, modification, use, disclosure, and disposal;
- We conduct audits and complete investigations to monitor and manage our privacy compliance;
- We talk steps to ensure that everyone who performs services for us protect your privacy and only use your personal health information for the purposes you have consented to.
Our Information Practices
Collection of Personal Health Information
Personal Health Information (PHI) means identifying information about you related to your physical or mental health, providing health care to you, your health card number, your substitute decision maker, and other information included in your health records.
We collect your personal health information directly from you or the person acting on your behalf. The personal health information that we collect may include your contact information, medical history, records of the care you received during prior visits to Mount Sinai Hospital or at other hospitals. We may also collect personal health information about you from other sources if we have obtained your consent to do so or if the law permits.
Uses and Disclosures of Personal Health Information
We use and disclose your personal health information, as is necessary, to:
- Treat and care for you
- Get payment for your treatment and care (from OHIP, WSIB, your private insurer or others);
- Plan, administer and manage the hospital and its programs;
- Conduct risk management activities;
- Conduct quality improvement activities (such as sending you a patient satisfaction survey);
- Teach; conduct research; or compile statistics
- Comply with legal and regulatory requirements
- Fulfill other purposes as required by law.
Information Privacy Commissioner / Ontario
If dissatisfied with the outcome of a complaint lodged with the Mount Sinai Hospital Privacy Officer, it is your right to make a complaint to the Information and Privacy Commissioner:
- 1400-2 Bloor Street East
Toronto, Ontario M4W 1A8
For more information, or to raise a concern about our practices, contact:
- Mount Sinai Hospital
Corporate Privacy Officer
Phone: 416-586-4800 Ext. 2101